Front Porch Job Description
Job Title: IT System Administrator
Department: Network Operations/IT Services
Performs work in providing for the effective and efficient operation of day-to-day Server and client PC operation. Maintains user PCs and Application Servers in a Microsoft Windows Active Directory environment. Perform backups and restores of user workstation and server environments. Manage SAN, manage servers, both hardware and virtual environments, manage and maintain Phone Systems, printers. Manage enterprise class switches, routers, and firewalls.
Microsoft Windows Server Platforms, SharePoint and Office 365, VMware, Hyper-V, Windows client operating systems, Apple macOS, general networking and security practices, general backup and restore practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following. Other duties may be assigned. These duties may be performed individually, as part of a team or in cooperation with other team members.
- Monitors and manages server health and ensures proper operation of all IT production devices
- Reviews project requests describing client/server user needs.
- Estimates time required to accomplish project, obtains quotes from vendors.
- Attends specification meetings with project team workers to determine scope and limitations of project(s)
- Writes Security and Group Policies to ensure proper AD operation and conformance
- Recommends physical network design such as location, space requirements, server size and capacities for proper application/user support
- Reviews description of changes (logical as well as physical) to the network infrastructure to understand how changes to be made may impact the proper operation of the network components.
- Recommends network/server changes or enhancements
- Performs system updates to clients and servers to ensure optimal performance and security of the network.
- Applies system updates to maintain proper operation and security of workstations and servers
- Tests and corrects errors, and helps refine changes to client/server components.
- Specifies, recommends and orders hardware and software to meet the needs of the user community.
- Answer user questions.
- Support network storage devices.
- Performs necessary system back-up and restore functions.
- Maintains antivirus system
- Installs hardware and software as needed
- Configures network hardware and software
- Performs Adds, Moves and Changes to user phones
- Provide support to offsite users of phone, computer and VPN
- Provide support to branch office
- Interfaces with phone systems vendor for changes to service or problem reports/resolution.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- This position requires the knowledge and skills normally acquired through the successful completion of a degree in Computer Science.
- At least 2 years of previous experience working with Microsoft based client/server systems
- Strong understanding Active Directory Sites, Design, and Group Policy management
- Web applications experience strongly desired.
- Microsoft certification strongly desired. MCSE preferred
- CCNA certification would be a plus
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills desired
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Ability to learn new systems quickly
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple priorities