Job Title: Network Engineer
Department: Engineering Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Engineering Services Manager
Location: Sonora, California.
A Front Porch Network Engineer provides network design, troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance services on Front Porch lab and production networks as well as customer lab and production networks. This position works closely with development, sales and support to ensure customer/key stakeholder satisfaction goals are met.
Required: A successful candidate has a passion for accurate network documentation and is very creative in written and oral communication. Strong analytical, communication and presentation skills are required. An attention to detail and appreciation of deadlines is essential.
Windows OS (installation, maintenance, administration), Ethernet (Routers/Switches/Hubs), Cisco IOS, VPN Concentrators, ASA Firewalls.
Beneficial: Taps, UNIX, Linux, MS-SQL, Microsoft IIS, Mac, networking management tools, Scripting language.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to travel 15% of the time and maintain a current passport.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. These duties may be performed individually, as part of a team or in cooperation with customers.
• Participate in all stages of the sales process and act as a resource for sales teams and customers.
• Performs analysis of network needs and contributes to design of network architecture, integration, and installation.
• Installs and maintains LAN/WAN network hardware and software, including servers, peripherals, network nodes, and terminals.
• Evaluates LAN/WAN network hardware and software requirements and capabilities and makes recommendations.
• Experienced in the use of a protocol analyzer.
• Ability to decipher a protocol analyzer trace.
• Coordinates installation of hardware and software.
• Communicates and coordinates network schedule, backups, and downtime to users.
• Prepares and maintains documentation of network configurations and cabling layouts.
• Assembles and configures network components and associated services.
• Performs network troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose common network problems.
• Upgrades network hardware and software components as required.
• Provides customers with network technical support.
• Responds to needs and questions of customers concerning their access to network resources.
• Establishes network users, user environments, directories, and security for networks being installed.
• Replicates customer environments to aid in problem replication/resolution.
• Requires participation in on-call rotation.
• Requires travel to different parts of the world for installation and sales engineering tasks.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
This position requires the knowledge and skills normally acquired through the successful completion of a BS degree in Computer Science or electronics.
• Requires 5 or more years of networking experience.
• Successful track record of completed projects (sample documentation and/or actual device configuration may be required at an interview).
• Must possess strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
• Must possess strong technical documentation skills.
• Ability to learn new systems quickly.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple priorities.
Must be able to communicate effectively using verbal or written means.
Must be able to demonstrate exceptional reasoning skills in day-to-day troubleshooting operations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The position may require the employee to spend extended periods of time in climate-controlled environments (data centers, server rooms, etc.).
Some lifting of 50 lbs.+ may be required in the mounting and dismounting of equipment. Travel to customer locations around the world may be required.